Christopher Reid artist bio
Born July 1st 1975 Discovery, Transvaal, South Africa
Christopher Reid is an internationally recognized artist that paints everything from portraits to landscapes to wildlife. Reid paints in pastel, acrylic, watercolor, and charcoal. His style has been described as “contemporary realism with an emphasis on color and depth.” His art is in private collections around the world.
Reid was born in South Africa and studied art at the Savannah College of Art & Design. He founded an advertising firm to pay for college and worked in graphic design for years before returning his focus to fine art. He lives in Hermanus, South Africa and is inspired by the beauty of the Western Cape.
“I am passionate about art, enjoy the act of creation, and hope to help people who view my artwork appreciate the beauty already around them. Too many people stumble through life without enjoying nature. Art is a form of communication and it is as important what you say as how you say it. I am an optimist at heart and I choose to use my art to talk about beauty. Since nature provides the inspiration for art, I enjoy painting en plein air so that I can be out in nature and incorporate all the senses into my paintings and better communicate an experience of the place. When I paint from photographs, I am able to incorporate all the information I have observed from direct experience about color and light into my paintings. My portraits are informed by the thousands of life drawings I have done.”
photo courtesy of Kimberly Reid
- 1999-2001 Savannah College Of Art & Design (BFA)
- 1997-1999 UNC-Wilmington (Studio Art w/ Minors in Art History, English, French)
- 1996-1997 Cape Fear Community College (Photography, Studio Art)
- 1993-1994 UNC-Greensboro (Computer Science, Studio Art)
- 1992-1993 New Hanover High School (highschool diploma)
- 1991-1992 Darlington School
*earned Dean’s List every semester at SCAD, UNCW, & CFCC
**additional courses and degrees: Anatomy (UNC), Marketing, Business Administration, Graphic Design, Art History, CIS, Emergency Management, Spanish
***extracurricular experience: Seahawk Newspaper, varsity sports (lacrosse, soccer, tennis, volleyball, swimming); chess club, art club, French club, intramural raquetball
- Emergency Planning (FEMA, License IS-00235.a, October 2011)
- Emergency Program Manager (FEMA, License IS-00001, September 2011)
- Introduction To Hazardous Materials (FEMA, License IS-00005.A, October 2011)
- Fundamentals Of Emergency Management (FEMA, License IS-00230.b, October 2011)
- Radiological Emergency Management (FEMA, License IS-00003, October 2011)
- Incident Command System ICS-100 (FEMA, License IS-00100.b, November 2011)
- Napolean Hill Foundation (April 2007)
- Life Guard Certification (Georgia, July 1991 – July 1994)
- ACT National Career Readiness Certificate – Gold (License 207153, April 2014)
- Duolingo Spanish Fluency: Advanced
- Duolingo French Fluency: Intermediate
- Duolingo Chinese Fluency: Intermediate
Reid has taught all levels of students in the US and South Africa in classroom settings and privately, and international students online He has experience teaching all media and everything from teaching absolute beginners to draw, to advanced-level color theory. He is currently traveling and teaching workshops in South Africa. An updated schedule of workshops is available here.
Several past students have written testimonials, which are featured on the home page.